Use this list of 1st Grade Skills to access Free Printable Math Worksheets
This is a comprehensive list of 1st Grade Skills your child must master. The list has been subdivided into subject areas.
Click on the links to be taken to all the worksheets you will need!
This list of skills is based on the first grade level expectations from Washington State OSPI
These Grade Level Expectations are organized by basic math subject area for 1st Grade. If you would rather have a basic math skills requirements list organized by subject area, that includes every requirement from Kindergarten to 6th grade in one downloadable document please visit my Grade Level Expectations section.
1st Grade Skills by Subject Area
Patterns And Classification
- Establish concepts of likeness and difference by sorting and classifying objects according to attributes: size, shape, color, amount, function.
- Define a set by the common property of its elements.
- In a collection of objects that includes a given set and an item that does not belong, indicate which item does not belong
Recognize patterns and predict the extension of a pattern.
Numbers and Operations
Count to 30; Count to 100; Count by 2's; Count by 5's; Count by 10's.
- Count by ones forward and backward from 1 - 120 starting at any number. Count by 2's 5's and 10's to 100
Counting forward and backward mix (by 1)
- Name the number one less or one more - up to 120
- Order objects/events using Ordinal numbers
0 - 50; 51 - 100; 101 - 500; 501 - 1000
- Recognize numerals from 0 to 1000
On the number line; Comparing numbers to 10; Compare numbers to 120; Put numbers in order.
- Write, compare and order numbers to 120
Up to 30; 100 Number Chart
- Group numbers into Tens and Ones
Skip Count by 2 with pictures; Skip Count by 2 to 100; Skip Count by 2 using Charts;
Skip Count by 5 with pictures; Skip count by 5 to 100; Skip Count by 5 using Charts;
Skip Count by 10 with pictures; Skip Count by 10 to 100; Skip Count by 10 using Charts.
- Count by 2's, 5's and 10's
Identify Even or Odd; Which Even or Odd comes Before or After?
Addition with pictures; Subtraction with pictures; Addition word problems; Subtraction word problems;
Addition and subtraction terms.
- Classify Numbers as Odd or Even
Represent Addition on the number line; Represent Subtraction on the number line.
Demonstrate the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction - Fact Families; Complete the number sentence.
Adding three numbers; Word problems
- Add three 1 digit numbers, using commutative and associative properties of addition
Addition facts; Subtraction facts
- Quick recall of addition fact to 10 and subtraction facts for sums to 18
Chose an appropriate unit of length; Length word problems.
- Use non standard units to measure length, weights and capacities
Chose an appropriate unit of weight; Compare and convert cups, pints and quarts
Days of the week; Months of they Year; Read a Calendar.
- Name days of the week and months of the year
Count sides and vertices; Count edges, vertices and faces; Compare sides and vertices; Open and Closed shapes.
2D Shpaes; 3D Shapes; Everyday objects.
Link between planar and 3D shapes.
Recording Data; Which graphical representation is correct?; Word Problems
- Represent Data using Tallies, tables, pictures, and bar graphs
When your child has mastered their First Grade Skills, check out what Second grade skills
they will study!
And don't forget to head over to our home page!
Here you will find great resources
to help you tutor your child, such as manipulatives, board games, math puzzles and activities!
Other Sections of this site
Keep In Touch!
You can send me a quick message, follow me on Facebook or why not join our community of like minded parents? Choose all the options so you don't miss any of the new material added to this site.